Our winemaker’s belief is that good fruit should be treated gently and with minimal intervention. Our Farmer Smith 2019 Viognier was treated in this manner.
A range of techniques were utilised in the making of this wine:
- Picking on fruit flavour and natural acid levels rather than sugar levels;
- Using whole bunch pressing, some juice solids and 100% indigenous yeast strains to undertake the fermentation;
- Ensuring that the fermentation occurred in new and seasoned French oak barrels and allowing the wine to mature until the fruit and oak characters harmonized;
- Gently filtering the wine without any fining prior to bottling; and
- This is a vegan friendly wine.
- Colour: Pungent golden straw with youthful green tinges.
- Aroma: The wine offers a complex array of fruit aromas of apricot, honeysuckle and spiced fruit.
- Palate: This wine has very attractive Viognier flavours of apricot, honeysuckle and spiced fruit. There is a textural mid palate richness evident in the wine due to the fermentation and maturation in oak. The finish is unctuous, well rounded and has a lovely acid balance which ensures the wine is not cloying.
About the Wine Maker
Viticulturist and wine-maker Adam Marks has more than 25 years of international experience. Adam established Bress in 2001 with a desire to produce wines, via fruit sourced from notable viticultural regions, using a minimal intervention approach in the winery. Sustainability is a key part of the Bress culture.